Google
 

Friday, June 22, 2007

Arrest Me, Shilpa in Mumbai Mirror

‘Arrest me if you believe I’m guilty’
by Subhash K. Jha

Despite a Supreme Court reprieve, Shilpa is tired of being repeatedly detained by immigration officers at the international airport in Mumbai

Click on ads and get paid

After being harassed by immigration officers at the international airport in Mumbai 10 days ago, Shilpa Shetty was detained once again, when she was leaving for Turkey on Tuesday night. The situation was much the same. The authorities told her she couldn’t leave the country as there was a look-out notice for her, she explained she had a Supreme Court reprieve; they refused to believe her until she produced the papers, (which she wasn’t carrying). What followed was hours of questioning and harassment. Again.Shilpa and her mom were also detained on her return to Mumbai from London. “It was so bizarre,” Shilpa exclaims. She says, “It would’ve been perfectly understandable to see the immigration officers doing their jobs well and I’d be the last person to come in the way of authorities doing their duties. But we patiently showed the clearance papers while leaving. And still we were questioned when I returned.”Sounding a little upset, Shilpa said, “How does it feel to be treated so suspiciously in your home after being treated like a queen at an event in a distant foreign country? I guess I am no stranger to being given a raw deal at home, but still it hurts.”Shilpa feels that she is being targetted. She says. “Whether it's an innocuous costume or an innocent kiss I'm being hauled up all the time. Arrest me if you believe I'm guilty of any offence. But I can't walk out of the country each time with a piece of paper in my shivering hands to prove I'm as free to travel as thousands of others, at the airport.”

Courtesy:Mumbai Mirror

No comments: