Google
 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

New Mallika Sherawat, in Midday

'I am a greedy b***h!'


We’ve found the new Mallika Sherawat. Ram Kamal Mukherjee talks to Sherlyn Chopra about some ‘steaming’ issues

Frankly speaking, I didn’t want to meet Sherlyn Chopra aka Mona Chopra aka God Knows Who. I’m sure no journalist worth his ink would want to waste it on her. “I know, people think I’m sleazy and cheap,” she reads my mind and opens the conversation. I was intrigued by her frank approach. As the conversation progressed, I was even a little impressed. Because here’s a girl who not only speaks her mind but is also intelligent. Read on to find out for yourself. Your last release, Red Swastik, bombed. Should you still be here? I think I deserve another chance to prove my talent. In this industry people give twelve chances to star kids, so they can give me one more! I realised that the film would flop when director Vinod Pande released it in shoddy single screen theatres. No one even reviewed the film, so how could you expect people to watch it? The publicity made it look like a sleazy film. Agreed? Lots of people thought it was a sleazy film. The publicity design made it look like a sex flick. When I confronted the director, he said he was going to do a press meet in Kolkata. I refused to go to Kolkata with him. ‘Who cares a f**k about Hindi films there?’Why did you debut with a film like Red Swastik?I’ve also played a bimbette’s role in Times Pass, but Red Swastik takes the cake! (Laughs) I remember meeting Shiney Ahuja when I was about to sign Red Swastik at Vinod Pande’s office. Shiney started his career with Vinod’s film, Sins. When I told him that I was working with Vinod, he smiled and wished me luck. Looking back, I’ve realised that it was a sarcastic smile that meant, “God help you!”It seems you are publicity hungry.Every actor has a publicity vehicle. Being a newcomer, I’ve realised the importance of being in the news. I believe in branding and I’m a greedy b***h. One controversy can fetch you month-long publicity. I want more, so I have no qualms about going the extra mile. All I have to do is not be politically correct. Are you single?Yes, and it’s been a while. I think falling in love is a sheer waste of time. You don’t miss a man in your life?What would a man do for me? Touch me and make me feel like a woman? I feel like a woman with or without a man. You think exposing will help you get good projects? In India, if you flaunt your body people make you feel miserable and like an outcast. Give me a break! I know I have a good body and I know how far to go and where to stop.If I’m topless and holding a fish to my bosom, it’s not obscene. If any international model does it it’s considered a bold move, but when I do it it’s labelled cheap. Come on! Are your parents supportive about your Bollywood aspirations?My father and my mother never wanted me to be a film star. She wanted me to become a doctor. I am not in touch with my brother, who lives in Auckland. He didn’t even invite me for his wedding. They don’t want to be associated with me. They feel Bollywood is a big mistake. So, are you getting offers after Red Swastik?Are you crazy? Everyone thinks I’m a C-grade star. But I will now work harder to get A-grade directors. I’ve met Madhur Bhandarkar and even he suggested that I must associate myself with good people. I made a mistake and now I am here to rectify them. You are also set to cut a music album…Yes. It’s going to be a kick ass album. Prahlad Kakkar might direct the video and T-Series might release the album. It will have six tracks and one remix. I want to release this album by the end of this year. You call yourself Chopra, but you are Christian by birth. Explain this! I think my mother had an affair with some Chopra (laughs)… Jokes apart, I really don’t know why my surname is Chopra. I’ve asked my mom, but she never gave me an explanation. It’s a mystery even to me!

No comments: